At holiday time, many of us feel called to give a little something to our children’s teachers and coaches as a small token of appreciation for the huge impact they have on our children’s lives. Every teacher I know treasures a handwritten note from parents and students, but if you want to include a treat along with that holiday card, here are some delicious ideas that you still have time to bake. They’re all simple enough that your child can help, too!
- Cinnamon Bun Popcorn – a variation on caramel corn, this is easy to mix up and looks so festive in a cellophane treat bag or holiday tin.
- Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats - a more sophisticated version of the classic Rice Krispie Treat, and possibly more addictive.
- Chocolate Covered Caramelized Matzoh Crunch - you can replace the matzoh with saltine crackers; a fun treat for a chocolate lover.
- Olive Oil Granola - for the health conscious teacher or coach, or as part of a breakfast-themed gift along with some coffee or tea.
- Cristina’s Famous Nuts - excellent for snacking or for sharing with your guests for holiday entertaining, these mixed nuts and herbs are a nice change from sweets. Put them in a glass jar and let your child decorate the label.
Melissa Jerves writes about food, family and 21st century home economics on her blog, Home Baked.